Honda Battle of the Bands
Now in its thirteenth year, the Honda Battle of the Bands (HBOB) celebrates and supports the most prestigious marching bands from America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCU), and provides them with a platform to share their unique blend of musicianship and choreography with millions of fans.
Each year, eight bands are selected to perform in the Invitational Showcase through a process that includes online fan voting, as well as feedback from band directors, HBCU school presidents and representatives from American Honda. On Jan. 24, these bands marched onto the field at Georgia Dome in Atlanta and delivered a spectacular display of musical showmanship. For more than three hours, the cheers and applause of more than 55,000 music enthusiasts reverberated throughout the nine-acre Atlanta Falcons arena. The enthusiasm spilled over into social media, where more than 16,000 tweets, pictures and posts were recorded-a #HBOB record.
New to the Honda Battle of the Bands this year was Honda’s first-ever Power of Dreams Award presentation. The winner, Audrey Stradford. is a 1966 graduate of Tennessee State University, and is recognized for her lifelong dedication to serving the Tennessee State University community and helping students to achieve their dreams through guidance and mentorship. After being recognized on the field, Stradford was awarded a brand new 2015 Honda CR-V. The Power of Dreams Award, led by Honda’s Corporate Community Relations team, is given to individuals within the HBCU community who have enhanced their institutions and communities.
The following eights bands were selected to participate at the 13th Annual HBOB Invitational Showcase:
- Alabama State University, Mighty Marching Hornets (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Bethune-Cookman University, Marching Wildcats (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Howard University, Showtime Marching Band (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference); performing at Honda Battle of the Bands for the first time
- Jackson State University, Sonic Boom of the South (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- North Carolina A&T University, Blue and Gold Marching Machine (Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference)
- Southern University, Human Jukebox (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
- Talladega College, Marching Tornado Band (Gulf Coast Athletic Conference); performing at Honda Battle of the Bands for the first time
- Tennessee State University, Aristocrat of Bands (Ohio Valley Conference)
The eight HBCUs chosen for the Invitational Showcase each received a $20,000 grant from Honda to support their music education programs, plus travel to and accommodations in Atlanta for the Invitational Showcase.
For updates, follow the Honda Battle of the Bands and join the social media conversation using #HBOB.
- Facebook – Facebook.com/HondaBattleoftheBands
- Twitter – @The_Honda / Twitter.com/The_Honda
- Instagram – @The_Honda / Instagram.com/the_honda
- YouTube – YouTube.com/hondabotb
For more information on the 2015 Honda Battle of the Bands, visit HondaBattleoftheBands.com.